October 28, 2017

Ha Ling / Miner's Peak

Dist: 6.3km   Elev: 790m   Summit: 7897'/8016'   Time: 3h   Difficulty: 3/5

On what looked like it may be the last "warm" weekend of the year, I decided to rise with the sun for a solo trip up two peaks I have admired from below for years. Due to my early start, I had the rare luxury of enjoying these popular summits almost entirely alone. I met only one couple during my ascent (they were coming down after watching the sunrise from Ha Ling), and dozens more on my return trip

Trail Description:
Park in the Goat Creek parking lot, about 5km past the Canmore Nordic Centre on the Spray Lake Highway (Hwy 742). Crossing the road on foot, following an obvious trail across a small bridge, I eventually came to the well-marked trailhead in the trees on my left-hand side. The trail began on a steep and rooty forest path, making frequent switchbacks while offering motivating views of surrounding peaks through openings in the trees. After about 2km (and 500m) the trail completely opened up to an energizing view of both peaks (Ha Ling on the left, Miner's on the right). Lacking any kind of traction device for my boots, I departed the icy trail here in favour of the deep yet much less slippery fresh powder. I eventually reached the saddle between Ha Ling and Miner's peaks, and decided I had time to climb them both.  Each offered unique yet equally great views.


Miner's (L) and Ha Ling (R) tower above Canmore

Trailhead marker

The first km of trail looks like this

Rewarding views through the trees


The trail opens and leads up the scree on the left

Ha Ling Peak, seen from the Ha Ling - Miner's saddle. Canmore below.

Miner's Peak and Mt Lawrence Grassi from the climb up Ha Ling

Looking south from Ha Ling summit
Looking north from Ha Ling summit


Ha Ling's shadow on EEOR (east end of Rundle)

Back on the Ha Ling - Miner's saddle, this time looking at Miner's Peak

Climbing to Miner's Peak. A snow covered first "hump" (R) of the "Three Humps" formation

Looking back at Mt Rundle (L) and Ha Ling (R)

South panorama from Miner's Peak. Impressive view of Mt Lawrence Grassi's north face.

West panorama from Miner's Peak


2 comments:

  1. Excellent photos and commentary. Scrambling to the top of Ha Ling is on our bucket list! Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tim!
    Ha Ling is a great day out for sure! Let me and Mindy know when you're planning to go ;)

    ReplyDelete